Thursday 27 March 2014

Task 2b: Reflective Writing

Okay so having written about 1 day in 5 different styles I have established 1 thing: I do almost EVERYTHING on impulse.

I used Description, Initial Reflection, Evaluation, What If? & Another View.

Of all 5 methods I chose to try out I found using Initial Reflection and then later using Evaluation worked really well. The two methods went hand in hand to show what emotions I was feeling at the time of the event that happened at work and then later after the event once I had had time to reflect on and evaluate the situation. When looking at these two pieces side by side I was able to see how extremely different my views on the event were at the time of the event and after the event. During the event I was absolutely seething and threw my toys out of the pram and then looking back at the way I reacted to the event I thought 'What an idiot. If I had only had time to evaluate the situation and take a couple of deep breaths then I may not have made myself look such a tit!'. This was when I came to the realisation that I am an impulsive person.

I then started to look back at other things that have happened recently...

 I bought a new car last week for example. Something I had wanted to do for a while but it wasn't high on my list of priorities and I had put it to the back of my mind. However on one particular day myself and some colleagues had begun talking about it and from that moment on I became obsessed with the fact that I 'needed' to buy a new car. So I did?! Just like that.

In August last year I decided (again on impulse) to book flights to Texas to visit somebody I had met on a Cruise just 2 weeks before. I spent £600 and then when it came to the date of travel I didn't actually go as myself and the person I was due to visit had virtually stopped talking. But obviously this was bound to happen. One good reason for it was the time difference of course! And again, if I had just waited to evaluate the situation and tried to look into the future as to what might happen then I could've avoided such a waste of money!

But yes, to conclude, I have found that by reflecting on one single day in a couple of different ways it has led me to thinking about many different situations I maybe hadn't reflected on before. This in turn has shown me that with a little more time and a few deep breaths I could improve my impulsive actions in many different parts of my life and in turn become a more calm and collected person with the ability to deal with situations in a more productive way!

Lesson well learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment