Sunday 30 March 2014

Task 2c: Reflective Theory



Reflection

noun

1. [MASS NOUN] Serious thought or consideration

   1.1 [COUNT NOUN] An idea about something, especially one that is written down or  expressed





Reflection is an every day process. Without even realising, we as humans reflect on a number of everyday situations in a number of different ways. This reflection may happen in-action (whilst a situation is occurring) or on-action (after the event has happened). 

We don't follow a formula for this it just happens as feelings, thoughts and emotions about something gradually ‘surface’. We might choose to do something differently, or not, as a result of reflecting, but reflection is essentially a kind of loose processing of thoughts and feelings about an incident, a meeting, a day – any event or experience at all.

Reflection is a type of thinking associated with deep thought, aimed at achieving better understanding. It contains a mixture of elements:

1. Making sense of experience
We don’t always learn from experiences. Reflection is where we analyse experience, actively attempting to ‘make sense’ or find the meaning in it.
2. ‘Standing back’
It can be hard to reflect when we are caught up in an activity. ‘Standing back’ gives a better view or perspective on an experience, issue or action.
3. Repetition
Reflection involves ‘going over’ something, often several times, in order to get a broad view and check nothing is missed.
4. Deeper honesty
Reflection is associated with ‘striving after truth’. Through reflection, we can acknowledge things that we find difficult to admit in the normal course of events.
5. ‘Weighing up’
Reflection involves being even-handed, or balanced in judgement. This means taking everything into account, not just the most obvious.
6. Clarity
Reflection can bring greater clarity, like seeing events reflected in a mirror. This can help at any stage of planning, carrying out and reviewing activities.
7. Understanding
Reflection is about learning and understanding on a deeper level. This includes gaining valuable insights that cannot be just ‘taught’.
8. Making judgements
Reflection involves an element of drawing conclusions in order to move on, change or develop an approach, strategy or activity.

Reflection can be a great way of creating better self-understanding and becoming aware of your strengths/weaknesses both in your personal and professional life.

For me, reflection is about learning from my experiences and also from any mistakes I have made. In my full time job I am a manager of an immediate team of 30 and a further wider team of 100. It is important for me that I use reflection effectively to ensure I am being the most efficient manager and leader I can possibly be. As a manager not only do I have to ensure I am effectively coaching a team but I also have to coach myself to continually grow as an inspiring and influential manager and reflection is the most productive way of me doing this. I often have to draw on my own experiences to help lead one of my team and give them the best possible advice on dealing with a situation or task and so it is important that I have reflected on my experience of such task so that I can offer the best and most beneficial direction.

I read an incredible piece of writing titled:

'Self-reflection: The key to effective leadership'

This can be found at: http://works.bepress.com/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1132&context=peter_miller

Is is WELL worth a read. I found it incredibly inspiring and it really stood out to me as I felt I could really relate the theories used to my job role.

To summarise, I think reflection is a great tool for self-discovery and growth in both personal and professional life. Reflecting effectively on my daily experiences has enabled me to develop my personal and professional understanding which has in turn seen me receive 3 promotions and 3 pay rises in 9 short months. Now if THAT isn't a good enough incentive for using reflection as part of your daily routine then I don't know what is?! 

GET REFLECTING.

Sources:
http://www.qmu.ac.uk/els/docs/Reflection.PDF
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment